Aspirin toxicity (salicylate toxicity) is poisoning that occurs following the ingestion of aspirin or aspirin-containing products. Aspirin toxicity usually occurs after the ingestion of improperly stored drugs or the administration of the incorrect dose of aspirin to a ferret.
Young animals are more susceptible to the toxic effects than are adult animals. Aspirin toxicity may cause gastrointestinal problems, respiratory difficulties, neurological problems, bleeding disorders, and kidney failure.
Other conditions can cause symptoms that appear similar to those of aspirin toxicity. Conditions include:
What to Watch For
A history of administration or accidental ingestion of aspirin is helpful to your veterinarian in determining the cause of your ferret's illness. In addition to obtaining a history and performing a thorough physical examination, your veterinarian will likely perform the following tests:
Hospitalization is often required for definitive care and may require two to five days. Recommendations may include:
Home Care and Prevention
If accidental ingestion has occurred, remove any remaining pills from the environment. Calcuate the number of pills you think your pet may have taken and call your veterinarian immediately. Take your ferret to a veterinarian as soon as possible for treatment.
Do not administer aspirin to ferrets unless instructed to do so by a veterinarian. Keep bottles of aspirin out of your pet's reach, including bottles kept in purses or pocketbooks.