Christmas, New Year's, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa - and all the celebrations they entail pose safety problems for pets. Aside from the over excitement and confusion caused by too many guests, there are purely physical problems: A dog can singe a tail on a candle or can swallow tinsel and wind up with an intestinal blockage that may need surgery to repair.
"Overall, clinic visits at this time of year increase slightly," says Doctor Primovic. "But hospitals often see more cases of toxicity, cases related to an animal's biting an electrical cord or cases related to a pet eating chocolate or table scraps and developing pancreatitis."
Here's how to keep a pet safe during this holiday season: